What is Skills First funding?
Skills First is a Victorian Government program that provides access to government-subsidised training for courses in growth industries.
If you are eligible, your tuition fees will be lower.
Am I eligible?
You must be:
- an Australian citizen, or
- an Australian permanent resident, or
- a New Zealand citizen.
You must be physically present in Victoria while participating in training and assessment.
Skills First funding is limited to:
- two courses at a time
- two courses in a year.
For Apprentice or Trainee, to be eligible for Skills First subsidised training you must be:
- employed in Victoria in either a full time or part time capacity under an award or registered agreement
- undertaking an Approved Training Scheme
- a signatory to a Training Contract with your employer that is registered with the VRQA.
Additional eligibility requirements for individuals under 17 years of age (for electrical apprentices)
If an individual will be under 17 years of age at the time their training commences, unless they are undertaking training as part of a School Based Apprenticeship or Traineeship, to be eligible for Skills First subsidised training, they must have received an exemption from school attendance.
To receive an exemption from school attendance, an individual must participate in training on a full-time basis, or participate in a combination of training and employment. Full time basis means to undertake training for 20 hours.